Monday 20 February 2012

All good things have to come to an end - Sunday 19 Feb

Our last day in Zambia has arrived all too quickly, tomorrow we'll be on a flight back home. Although we spend a couple of hours bartering in a local market, it's quite a reflective day for me.

Ngombe, the area we visited yesterday, really crystallised the importance of education and awareness in the overall work programme of giving everyone access to clean, safe water and sanitation. After all, why are so many people using the filthy river for washing etc, and not taking advantage of the help and support that's available for new latrines.



In a similar way you could ask why did the people of  Muzoka allow their water pump to get broken and to remain broken for so long. 

At the start of the week I was really struggling to understand why it was going to take over a year before the people of Haboombe village would get their water pump. If I could have created a bore hole for them that day I would have - it might have taken a little longer to instal the hand pump though, as it's not something I make a habit of carrying around with me!

Now though, I understand the importance of the overall programme, of making sure people understand the link between using dirty water and ill health and why sanitation is crucial. Key to delivering this overall program are all the partners WaterAid work with, which include:
  • Local Authorities
  • Environmental Health Bodies
  • Health Coordinators
  • Local Water and Sewerage Companies.
It maybe a cliche, but a holistic approach really is needed to solve the kind of issues I've seen over the last few days, and that takes time.

It's been a privilege to see the work already being carried out by some truly inspiring people. 

Thank you, and I'm sure I'll be back - after all who else is going to rescue the frog!

No comments:

Post a Comment